Miyajima (Island Close to Hiroshima)
A beautiful small island in Hiroshima Bay, Japan, known for its forests and ancient temples.
- You take a short ferry to get to the Island and everything changes! Hiroshima has a unique energy and about 1 hour by train, or less by a $70 taxi ride you get to a totally different place.
- There are things to see, a cool shopping area built in an ancient town, and you can visit the outside of the Itsukushima Shrine seeing how in the morning the red Tori gate’s feet are under water, and in the afternoon, when the tide changes, people walk on sand and touch it.
- Words will always fall short in describing this island. We just stayed for a few hours, but we recommend staying overnight. Chabad will deliver food to your hotel with enough advanced notice.
- We headed to Kyoto that same night, and it was too much.
- Have you been to Miyajima? Please send us your best pictures and tips.
- Itsukushima or also known as Miyajima Island, one of the most scenic spots in Japan, has long been regarded as an Island of Gods on the beautiful Seto Inland Sea. It is a romantic and historical island where Itsukushima Shrine, a World Heritage site, is located, along with the Virgin Forest of Mt. Misen, and numerous preserved shrines, temples and historical monuments.
- Click here to discover more of this beautiful island.